Allright, I realize this post comes a little late, but I really can’t resist this. So here are some of my picks for great moments from the T-20 World Cup Final (in no-specific order). I rate these as great moments because of emotional appeal and/or match-swinging action so typical of an India-Pakistan match.
1. Anthems of India and Pak being played
2. Yousuf Pathan walking out to bat for the first time in T-20
3. Yousuf Pathan’s 6 off Asif
4. Gul’s getting Dhoni
5. Sharma’s six in the death overs (it might have been a four, if it hadn’t been for the Pak fielder).
6. The first Pak wicket
7. Nazir’s runout
8. Shahid Afridi’s wicket
9. Irfan Pathan’s double wicket over
10. Misbah’s consecutive 6s in the 17th over
11. Joginder Sharma being given the last over
12. Sreesanth’s catch to India’s sensational “almost not there” victory
13. Team India’s reaction to the victory
14. MSD gifting his shirt to a young fan: what was interesting here is how the media portrayed this later comparing it to Ganguly’s shirt waving on the Lord’s balcony after winning the NatWest series. This was not the adrenaline filled fist pumping action, but seemed to be a calm yet emotional moment for Dhoni. What was more touching was to see him help the lad put it on. A class act by a young leader!
15. Shoaib Malik’s apology to fans. (It seemed to be an honest and honorable one, but what I thought was unnecessary was the way he pulled the religion card. Pakistan still think they are a Muslim nation and that all Muslims belong there, don’t they?)
16. MSD’s bordering arrogant “We deserve a big celebration”. (But I guess he can be forgiven for he had just won the World Cup; however, I don’t think he would have even remote expected the celebration and welcome they were to recieve in Mumbai on arrival).
17. Ravi Shastri’s commentarry (the final over) and the teary eyed man at the presentation ceremony!